The Trump administration seems more determined than ever to find a diplomatic compromise with Iran.

President Trump has told acting defense secretary, Patrick Shanahan, that he does not want to go to war with Iran.

During a Wednesday morning meeting in the Situation Room to defuse the growing tensions, President Trump sent a message to his aides that he does not want the intensifying American pressure campaign against the Iranians to explode into open conflict.

According to The New York Times, the Trump administration seems more determined than ever to find a diplomatic compromise with Iran.

Sources reveal that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called Oman’s Sultan Qaboos bin Said, on Wednesday to confer about the threat posed by Iran. Pompeo also asked European officials for help in persuading Iran to “de-escalate” tensions, which rose after American intelligence indicated that Iran had placed missiles on small boats in the Persian Gulf.

Asked on Thursday whether the United States was going to war with Iran, President Trump replied, “I hope not.”

Iran has so far dismissed any suggestion of a dialogue with President Trump. “The escalation by the United States is unacceptable,” the Iranian foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, said on Thursday.

State Department officials have set a red line that they warned Iran would cross at its peril. It states that they could not ramp up nuclear fuel production to the point where it could produce a nuclear weapon in less than one year.

The report states that officials did not specify what kind of reaction — military or otherwise — would come if Iran built up enough of a uranium stockpile and took other steps to cross that threshold. But they acknowledged that the steps announced by Iran’s president, Hassan Rouhani, could eventually give Tehran that ability.

One official said that Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, presented the president with a range of military options and checked off the troop levels, costs and risks of each.

However, sources were adamant that President Trump was firm in saying he did not want a military clash with the Iranians.

mm
Author

Ahmed Naser is a UK-based journalist with a deep understanding of the Middle East. Ahmed is a contributor to a wide range of regional publications in the Middle East. He works across print and digital media as a freelance editor and writer.

Write A Comment